Friday, July 2, 2010

Dry July Day 2

Ok so that didn't turn out to be all that bad. I went to the Lappo, had Coke and water all night, and left reasonably happy and relieved I didn't say anything stupid/grope any of the beautiful women around me. That would be one of the very few nights at the pub where I haven't had any alcohol and surprisingly, I wasn't bored or particularly wanting to leave at any stage.

The day went fine, I never drink during the day anyway, unless I'm at a restaurant/club for lunch or if it's a special occassion. But I did have a thought about a schooner of ice cold beer passing through my lips at some point (can't remember the exact time but it was early- to mid-afternoon).

Tonight, I caught the train to Springwood where Gary met me and drove me back to his place to wait for Kirstie who was giving us a lift to the Lappo. While I was there, I copped my first recorded 'Dry July Grilling' from one Mr. Matthew Kime, AKA Gary's Dad. Firstly, he did the scoff when he found out I was doing Dry July, which is what I have received from many, many people over the course of the last month or so. I don't exactly know why I get this scoff of disbelief. You would think it's a reflection of their lack of confidence in my ability to go the distance. But then, I figure I've never made a name for myself on the drinking circuit (standard recognition for this is being classified as "true blue" and labelled a "bastard" before being ordered to consume your current beer in one fell swoop by others present), nor do I drink heavily on regular occassions. But still, I get the scoff and then the look of sheer terror at the prospect of a month off the grog. Secondly, Matt Kime then offered me a beer. I smiled knowingly, before letting him have it with a "hardy har har" and a look of disgust. He got the message. To cap off the trifecta, Matty then insisted I "have a drink for him". I told him it would be Coke, and that I couldn't make any promises about not glassing anyone which was the second part of the request.

So overall, Day Two of the Dry July campaign was fairly eventful, without any real withdrawal signs yet. Feeling confident and ready to power on through July. Starting to worry about Gary's thing in the city though. Should be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment